Welcome to EAT WITH PURPOSE, a site designed to bring together those who suffer from autoimmune illnesses. 

The purpose of the site is to allow individuals a forum where they’re able to share experiences from their autoimmune journey. 

To access the forum, 

1) click Q & A, 

To create a post, 

2) click add topic. 

Notifications
Clear all

What are the best tips you can give someone trying to achieve remission naturally for life?

When I was sick and before I changed my lifestyle and diet, I would typically consume a high carb diet of mainly grains, rice, pasta, fruits, veggies, yogurt, chicken, granola bars, and pretty much whatever I wanted. Changing my eating habits was certainly difficult. But over time, practice becomes a habit. And this particular eating habit will help you achieve permanent remission. 

(1) Slowly reduce carbohydrate intake and begin incorporating healthy fats. I recommend dropping your carbs by 50 grams per week so your body can have time to adjust. MyFitnessPal is a great mobile app that can help you track carbohydrates for the time being. 

(2) If you’re experiencing a flare-up, make sure to avoid restaurants temporarily. The extra ingredients hidden in restaurants poses hidden threats to your digestive tract. 

(3) Have a daily exercise routine. It doesn’t have to be much. Lifting weights for just 10 minutes per day can work wonders for your wellbeing. I try to sweat once per day just as a standard to hold myself accountable to. Also, going for walks is great for stress reduction, blood sugar levels, sunlight, and exercise. So get your steps in!

(4) Get some sun. Vitamin D is essential for your health. Those with symptoms of Crohn’s and colitis are typically Vitamin D deficient so put the odds in your favor and get outside. And do not listen to people who tell you to wear synthetic sunscreen everyday. Did our ancestors ever find a reason to do that? Did Cleopatra (known for her beauty) wear sunscreen everyday? No and no. Rubbing chemicals on your face is a no-go.

(5) Surround yourself with people who want the best for you. And hopefully, you have the same respect toward them. These kind of relationships are far more healthy than those with themes of peer pressure and constant stimulation. Hang around people who will genuinely be happy when something good happens to you. And you should do the same for them. This was an incredibly difficult thing to realize and adjust to at 23, but I’m making it happen. And  I’m glad. The world is always changing and so should we. 

(6) Avoid constant stimulation. Whether it’s your cell phone, laptop, or television, your brain needs a break from all of the stimulation. These electronic devices trigger a dopamine response which tells our mind that it has accomplished something. Our brain only has a finite amount of dopamine receptors for the day so it is essential not to overburden our minds.

(7) Stop drinking alcohol. If you can do this, it will be the anchor to your remission. I stopped drinking alcohol completely at 22. It was the summer of 2019. My brother and I were both living together for the summer working internships. We had some drinks one night with my brothers’ cohorts and I ended up eating a bag of gummy worms and Oreo cookies. It’s not a big deal, but the alcohol eliminates my discipline. 

(8) Implement some form of intermittent fasting. Fasting is great for its healing effects. For those who suffer from IBD, it’s especially beneficial because it allows the gut to heal. Fasting also boosts ketones, which are great for your brain and for mitigating inflammation.  

(9) Eat mainly animal foods. I like to follow the 80/20 rule. It’s when you eat 80% of your calories from animal products (eggs, raw cheese, butter, ground beef, steak, bacon, or chicken). The remaining 20% of the calories come from safer carbs like raw honey and organic berries.  

(10) Get comfortable in the kitchen. This way, you will know anything and everything you put into your body. Stressor foods will become easier to identify. Obviously you’re human. You’re going to eat out. When you do, I would recommend you pick a protein and stick with it. Also, I would mention to your waiter/waitress that you are deathly allergic to vegetable oils and that your prefer they cook your food with butter. 

Quote
Topic starter Posted : 15/12/2020 11:26 am
Share: