Welcome to EAT WITH PURPOSE, a site designed to bring together those who suffer from autoimmune illnesses. 

The purpose of the site is to allow individuals a forum where they’re able to share experiences from their autoimmune journey. 

To access the forum, 

1) click Q & A, 

To create a post, 

2) click add topic. 

Notifications
Clear all

What are the essentials to healing my Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis?

From my experience, it comes down to food choices. Other people say it has to do with stress. I agree up to a certain point. But the food we consume directly affects our gut microbiome, which can increase stress levels if not managed properly. 

(1) First, I would recommend a high fat/low carbohydrate diet with moderate protein consumption. The issue with high carb diets is that they tend to either overwhelm the body with sugar and/or fiber. Both can cause issues for those who suffer from Crohn's or colitis. So switching to a higher fat diet makes a lot more sense. But it's important to eat the right kinds of fat. The best kinds of fats to eat tend to be higher in saturated and monounsaturated fats. Primary fat (saturated) fat sources would include butter, ghee, tallow, lard, suet, coconut oil, palm oil, etc. Secondary (monounsaturated) fat sources would include avocado oil, olive oil, macadamia oil, etc. But be wise about sourcing the secondary fat sources. There are a lot of fake products in the olive oil/avocado oil industries. Buy local if you can. The majority of the food I purchase is from the farmer's market and I supplement the rest through grocery stores. For protein consumption, I recommend animal products like eggs, chicken, pork, beef, etc. 

(2) Second, avoid vegetable oils at all costs. Industrial vegetable seed oils are polyunsaturated fats and researchers are connecting these fats to metabolic disease and obesity. These oils are the cheapest at stores and have almost no expiration date. Since vegetable oils and high carb diets have been promoted so heavily for the past 100 years or so, disease and obesity rates have absolutely skyrocketed.

(3) Third, reduce your fiber intake. In America, there is this myth that fiber is necessary for a balanced diet. This is not the case whatsoever. By definition, fiber is indigestible. An optimal digestive system does NOT need fiber by any means. I usually eat zero fiber per day and I experience no digestive issues. But take in mind, I've been perfecting this diet for years now and it takes a few months for your body to adapt to a high-fat diet. When transitioning to the high-fat lifestyle, I recommend incrementally reducing fiber to around 10 grams per day. This will help your digestive system not be too overwhelmed with the new food choices. 

(4) Fourth, eat mainly animal products and limit plant consumption. From my experience, it is too overwhelming to accept that you will never eat plants again. As I've mentioned before, some plants will work better for you than others. For me personally, I do relatively well with coconut products and dark chocolate. The key is moderation and not overdoing it. I eat those tasty treats as a dessert every once in a while to keep the whole journey sustainable. 

At the end of the day, it's not about being perfect. It's about being healthy and being able to move forward with your life. If you can apply these four principles, you are well on your way to achieving lifelong remission. 

This topic was modified 10 months ago by jacksingleton54
Topic starter Posted : 04/12/2020 3:32 pm
Share: